Training Awards

  • Funding Deadline:

MEOPAR Training Awards

MEOPAR Training Awards fund highly-qualified personnel (HQP) in the MEOPAR Network to pursue unique, value-added training opportunities outside of their projects. Training opportunities are identified by HQP to help further their careers. Awards are open to all HQP working on a MEOPAR-funded project; HQP who are affiliate members of MEOPAR are also eligible to apply. To ensure fair access to the fund, each HQP will be eligible to receive the award once per year.

Award winners receive funding to cover 60% of the cost of their training and travel expenses, up to $2,500. HQP and their supervisors are responsible for finding matching funds to cover the remaining 40% of the costs.

The purpose of the Training Awards is to fund training that complements (rather than duplicates) training available through the HQP’s university program and research project. Training in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research, knowledge mobilization, science communication, leadership, project management, and technical topics are prioritized.  Previous training opportunities supported through the fund include:

  • European Space Agency Cryosphere Remote Sensing Training Course
  • International Surface Ocean – Lower Atmosphere Study (SOLAS) Summer School
  • Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research (NVP) Summer School on the Arctic Ocean and the Marginal Ice Zone
  • Slocum Glider Training at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Applications for funding to present at a conference will only be considered if the applicant can demonstrate that the experience includes a training or experiential learning component (e.g., attendance at a pre-conference workshop; chairing or organizing a conference session).

Calls for applications are held three times a year, in January, May, and September.

To apply, download the application documents:

Training Award Instructions

Training Award Application

Training Award Budget Template

Please submit the application documents to Laura Avery. The next deadline to apply is September 2019.