News

Fathom Fund’s new project aims to map Canadians’ changing relationships with the ocean

By April 19, 2021No Comments

Ulukhaktok, Inuvialuit Settlement Region. Photo credit: Carie Hoover

MEOPAR’s Fathom Fund is excited to launch the crowdfunding campaign for its latest project—Stories for Stream2Sea: Mapping changing ocean relationships and ACTION in Canadian communities. Lead by the Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition (COLC), this project aims to harness the power of storytelling by inviting Canadians to share their observations, values, perceptions, and actions regarding their relationships with the ocean. These stories (audio, video, photo and text) will be documented and shared via the Stream2Sea storymap, a publicly available interactive digital map that will serve as a tool for both education and research. Analysis of these submissions will help to inform the ongoing implementation COLC’s national strategy,  and help drive forward ocean literacy in Canada over the course of the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030).

This innovative project is currently working towards hitting a $12,000 crowdfunding goal (25% of its budget), seeking public support in getting this community-based participatory research underway.  Once this amount is reached, MEOPAR’s Fathom Fund will contribute the remaining 75% of the project’s costs.

Read more about Stories for Stream2Sea and how to donate.